1. How it works
ReStore works on the principles of Regenerative Agriculture that goes back to before the time of chemicals, when the sun was the only source of energy, monoculture didn't exist and the carbon and water cycles were still intact.
What is Regenerative Agriculture?
Regenerative agriculture is a conservation and rehabilitation approach to food and farming systems. Not only are farmers turning their financial positions around by regenerating the soil and restoring the natural ecosystems in the environment, but they are also positively impacting our health and wellbeing – a win-win system!
Watch this 4 minute video:
Using Regenerative Principles
The technique of using carbon to improve the fertility of soils originated in the Amazon basin at least 2 500 years ago. The native Indians of the region made charcoal and worked it into small plots of land that remain highly fertile until today, even with little or no application of fertilizers.
Working WITH Nature
ReStore Regenerative Fertiliser uses these ancient principles that work with, rather than against, natural systems.
ReStore permanently stores biochar in the ground in a positive way by making it carbon negative. It acts as a haven for beneficial soil microbes. This can be used to enhance soil quality even in the poorest of soils, without using dangerous and expensive chemical fertilizers.
Biochar is about forming carbon loops, rather than a series of carbon emissions that take carbon from the soil into the sky – as with modern fertilisers. Carbon loops rebuild the soil by stimulating the microbiology and fixing the water cycle.
Carbon sequestration by photosynthesis.
Biochar sequestration reduces emissions from biomass.
When mixed in with the soil, ReStore biochar has the double impact of permanently sequestering large amounts of CO2 and improving soil quality. It increases the yields and profitability per square foot. The habitual use of ReStore leads to a positive cycle of increased economic prosperity from year to year, restoring land resources previously considered as unproductive.
ReStore Regenerative Fertiliser maximises the photosynthetic potential of soil by capturing more carbon. This has the greatest potential for cooling the planet, as photosynthesis both draws down carbon and acts as nature's air-conditioner by cooling the environment through transpiration (the process of water movement).
2. The Unique Properties of ReStore
ReStore consists of a unique blend of biochar and organic chicken fertiliser – for optimal effect. Biochar soil enhancement basically lasts forever, while holding onto the chicken fertilizer and releasing it over time. This decreases the need for repeat applications of fertilizer.
Biochar, or fixed carbon, present in ReStore is derived from the thermal gasification of invasive biomass whose properties are proven to enhance the soil structure including:
- stored carbon in a long term stable sink;
- regenerating and stabilizing soil structures whilst increasing fertility and nutrient retention more than conventional soil organic matter;
- restore the microbiome in your soil by increasing biological activity and diversity, creating conditions known as a “microbial reef”;
- increased arbuscular mycorrhyzal fungi;
- increased soil aggregation due to increased fungal hyphae;
- increased Cation Exchange Capacity (CEC), i.e. the ability to hold onto and transfer nutrient cations such as ammonium, calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
- absorbtion of ammonium phosphates and calcium ions reduces phosphate runoff into water ways and nitrogen leaching into groundwater;
- stimulated symbiotic nitrogen fixation in legumes;
- reduced soil acidity raises the soil pH;
- reduced aluminum toxicity;
- increased soil microbial respiration;
- suppressed methane emission and reduced nitrous oxide emission (estimate 50%).
2. Chicken litter
Scientific studies have found that when biochar is combined with organic fertilizer, such as chicken manure, the growth in height and diameter of tree seedlings significantly improved; while also increasing the number of leaves the seedlings developed.
“But just a little bit of biochar does wonderful things to the soil, and it really shines when you add organic fertilizer.”
Miles Silman, Wake Forest biology professor and CINCIA associate director of science.
3. The Many Benefits of ReStore
ReStore offers a number of benefits for soil health. Many benefits are related to the extremely porous nature of its carbon content:
- Biochar soil enhancement lasts a lifetime.
- It holds onto the chicken fertilizer and releases it over time, decreasing the need for repeat applications of fertilizer – cutting labor and supply costs.
- It improves the soil’s ability to hold water; and infiltration of the soil reduces the need for watering – ideal for low water environments. (See: 'Biochar helps hold water, saves money' by Rice University)
- It supports beneficial micro-organisms and biodiversity that support root development and plant growth.
- The combination of high NPK and carbon content improves crop yields and sustains healthy production whilst reducing synthetic nitrogen dependency.
- Disease and pathogen resistance.
- Reduced insect infestation.
- Reduced soil bulk density and improved tilth (tilled or prepared surface soil).
- Reduced leaching of nutrients.
- The impact of cropland on the environment and climate is mitigated.
- Our water cycles are reestablished.
- The earth is less prone to erosion.
- Healthier soil and crops create a healthier environment for produce and consumers.
4. The ReStore Process
ReStore consists of a 50 : 50% mixture of carbon and free range chicken litter, using a specialized process. Our carbon source comes from invasive alien species cleared from local farms in the Overberg, Western Cape.
The alien invasive wood is chipped into useable biomass, which is processed into biochar in a controlled process called pyrolysis. Although it looks a lot like common charcoal, biochar is produced using a specific process to reduce contamination and safely store carbon.
A good soil amendment, free range chicken litter is naturally rich in nutrients needed by plants to establish strong root systems and produce foliage and fruit. It also contains the bacteria used in the poultry's digestive process, which works to break down organic matter and helps to increase the water holding capacity even more.
The biochar is then mixed with the free range chicken litter and pelletised for ease of use.
5. The ReStore Composition
ReStore is a revolutionary high carbon based NPK packed fertiliser pellet. Its composition is based on soil biology requirements, the physical properties of carbon and some advanced technological know-how.
34g per kg
13g per kg
16g per kg
490g per kg total (330 per kg fixed)
6.0 – 8.0
± 0.45 cm wide x 3 cm long
For more information or orders:
Call or Whatsapp us on 066 129 6862